Christine Lelond Your Home Expert

(306) 230-5220

Common Household Items that Can Cause a Fire


You never want to smell smoke in your home and realize there’s a fire. That’s why it is important to be diligent about fire safety. Experts recommend that homeowners be especially careful with the following common household items:


• Portable heaters. Never leave one in a room unattended. Make sure paper and other combustible materials are well away from these units.


• Electronics chargers. We all want our computers, tablets and smartphones to charge quickly. The price we pay for that convenience is chargers that pull in a lot of power, making them very hot. Keep them away from combustible material, as well as other wiring.


• Smoking materials. Be careful with cigarettes, pipes, cigars and other such items. Bedding and upholstery, which burn slowly and dangerously, are the source of 75% of smoking-related fires.


• Candles. Never leave candles unattended for any reason. If you must leave the room, extinguish them.


• Flammable liquids. These can include paints, thinners and some brands of cleaning products. Read labels carefully and follow the safety instructions.


To paraphrase a famous expression: An ounce of prevention is worth not having to deal with a house fire.

No comments
The Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS® (SRAR) IDX Reciprocity listings are displayed in accordance with SRAR's MLS® Data Access Agreement and are copyright of the Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS®.
The above information is from sources deemed reliable but should not be relied upon without independent verification. The information presented here is for general interest only, no guarantees apply.
Trademarks are owned and controlled by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA). Used under license.
MLS® System data of the Saskatoon Region Association of REALTORS® displayed on this site is refreshed every 2 hours.